Are you concerned about the safety and health of your home’s plumbing system? If so, you need to invest some time and money into your home’s plumbing system by contacting a quality and professional plumbing service to provide regular maintenance and to ensure every element of your plumbing system is functioning properly.
When you go on holiday, the last thing you want to find when you return home is a flooded house. In fact, this can be one of the most traumatic experiences for any homeowner. The damages that occur are expensive to clean up and you may not ever be able to replace the nostalgic items that you lost. Best plumbing and AC repair experts are to be found here.
What many homeowners do not realize is that the majority of flooding results because of washing machine hoses that burst in the laundry room or basement. The good news is that there are a number of preventative steps you can take to help you maintain the integrity of your home, your wallet, and most importantly, your peace of mind.
Why the washing machine fails
Much like the pipes that make up your home’s plumbing system, the hoses of your washing machine will become older and more brittle as time passes, especially if you are still using the old-fashioned rubber variety. This can result in cracks, deterioration from chemical use, and even burst pipes. This is why you need a professional plumbing service to check your hoses once a year, at minimum, to detect any damage and prevent avoidable water leakage. However, even more important, is to replace the hoses on your washing machine every three to five years. A simple hose replacement can make all the difference in the world. Our experts know how to deal with water damage in Fort Lauderdale.
You don’t have to risk a flood in your home. Use these tips to help and maintain a healthy and properly working plumbing system.
- Don’t ever run your washing machine when you are away or asleep. If you can’t hear the hose burst, then you are increasing the possibility of water damage to your home.
- Do always turn off the valve for your washer when you are leaving your home for an extended period of home. When you eliminate the water supply, it will also eliminate any issue with the hoses while you are away.
When you are ready to replace your washing machine hoses, it is important to remember that quality is key. There are two general types of hoses that work well:
- The reinforced rubber hose
This hose is created with a type of reinforced polyester mesh or braided rayon that increases bursting strength. While this is an older type of hose, it is still very reliable. If you opt for this hose type, be sure that the label reads “Reinforced.” There are a number of lower-quality hoses that are not as reliable.
- The stainless steel braided hose
This type of hose includes a flexible plastic hose that is then braided into a flexible mesh of stainless steel wire. While this option is more expensive, it has a lower rate of failure when it comes to flooding issues.
Proper maintenance is key, which includes these three steps:
- CHECK the hoses each year. Inspect for breaks, cracks, and other signs of wear and tear.
- REPLACE the hoses every three to five years in order to avoid issues, such as water leakage and floods in your home.
- MONITOR your progress. This can be done with a piece of paper kept by your washing machine. Write down each time you check or replace the hose to your washing machine. This will help to remind you that checking your washing machines hoses is an important part of your plumbing maintenance.
There is no reason to experience a flooded laundry room or basement and the expensive water damage that comes with it when regular maintenance can avoid this all-together. Remember, when you have your other plumbing elements inspected, you should also ensure that your washing machine hoses are inspected as well. Contact Marines Plumbing, as there isn’t a plumbing problem, large or small, they can’t handle. This can save you a huge amount of time and money down the road. If your washing machine hoses do burst, causing a flood in your home, stop the flooding immediately by turning off the water supply and contacting a water damage restoration company immediately, as the water damage can grow extremely quickly, especially once mold begins to surface. Still, mould removal services may be very effective if you rely on us.